Saturday, June 27, 2015

Romania 2015- Day 14

Day 14- June 26, 2015

Today was a rainy, cold day!  I don’t remember it ever being this cold while I was here!  At least not all day, maybe for a bit in the mornings or evenings, but never all day.  Because of the rain, only 3 littles came to pre-school this morning.  So instead of doing VBS with them, we just hung out and played.  The girls interviewed some of them for the ACF blog.  By the way, be looking forward to those posts!  They will be introducing you to some of the kids served at Point of Hope!  While we were hanging out, I took the opportunity to try and improve my Romanian.  I had asked for a journal to take notes last week, but hadn’t had a chance to do anything yet.  Today I had one of the teachers write the Romanian alphabet and teach me the sounds.  Gabi keeps telling me Romanian is a very phonetic language, I keep saying your letters don’t make the same sounds our do!  So, I’m learning their sounds.  Most are only slightly different, but some are very different.  For instance, instead of using “st” for the st sound, they use a t and put a little tail on it.  You just have to know to make that noise when the tail is there.  They also have a tail for the s, and three different noises an A can make depending on what is above it.  I’ve already found it easier to read words correctly!  Well, Gelu saw what I was doing and decided he would be my Romanian teacher.  But instead of just giving me some basic phrases, he wants to start at the beginning and make sure I use correct grammar.  I’m more of the thought, I don’t care about grammar, if I can get enough out that they know what I’m talking about I don’t care if I sound like a five year old! ;-) But I appreciate the help and will do what I can to learn as much as I can!

After lunch we had the English lesson kids.  While Kaitlin and Victoria had half of them in the English lesson, I took the other half for games.  Since it was STILL raining, we had to play inside.  We started with Simon says, but in English so they could practice!  Then we played Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes.  Gelu says I only like that game because I want to laugh at them.  Well…it is pretty funny to watch!  But they have fun too!!!


After that they were a little wound up, so we played the Graveyard game.  Now, I don’t know if you’ve heard of this game, but it is the BEST GAME EVER!!! I learned about it my first trip to Romania.  (Jessica learned it as Sleeping Lions, same concept, nicer name.)  To play, the kids have to lay on the ground and pretend to be dead.  Meaning they can’t move or make any noise!  (I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used this game in my classroom on noisy days!)  If they move or make noise they’re out.  The last one “dead” wins the game.  I’m not sure why, but they love it!!! I know why I love it! ;-)


We played a few rounds of Graveyard then decided to end our time with musical chairs.  I think no matter how old you get, musical chairs is always fun!


Gabi arrived this afternoon and we helped her go shopping for the things the team will need.  (They’ve landed safely in Romania and will be here in Tarnaveni tomorrow afternoon.)  Then we sat and talked about a plan for the week.  In the mornings I will be helping with the women’s ministry.  I am so excited about this!  When we first were told we would be working with the women three summers ago, I was disappointed that I wasn’t working with the kids.  But after three summers with them, I love them as much as I love their kids!! It didn’t feel right to be here and not do anything with them!  In the afternoons I will be a group leader for the neighborhood VBS.  We will have about 100 kids coming to Point of Hope for VBS!  We were supposed to do it out on the hill like last year, but because of the rain, it has been moved inside for at least Monday and Tuesday.  It is going to be a busy week!!


Please be in prayer for the team as they travel from Bucharest to Tarnaveni.  Also please pray that God prepares our hearts for this week!

Since I didn't take a picture yesterday, here is the library!!

No comments:

Post a Comment